It’s 10pm and you’re feeling hungry, but don’t want to ruin your diet or eat unhealthy snacks. We’ve all been there – tired, hungry, and craving something tasty. The good news is there are plenty of delicious and nutritious late-night snacks that can satisfy your cravings without derailing your health goals.
Here are 10 healthy late-night snack ideas to try:
- Greek Yogurt – High in protein and calcium, Greek yogurt makes for a filling and nutritious snack. Top it with fresh fruit, nuts, or a drizzle of honey. Just be sure to stick to plain, unsweetened varieties.
- Avocado Toast – Avocado is loaded with heart-healthy fats and fiber. Try mashing it onto a slice of whole grain toast for a snack that will keep you full. Add a squeeze of lemon juice and sprinkle of red pepper flakes for extra flavor.
- Apple Slices with Peanut Butter – The fiber in apples and protein in natural peanut butter or almond butter make this a balanced snack. Go for all-natural nut butters with no added sugar.
- Veggies and Hummus – Carrots, celery, cucumber, and bell peppers dipped in hummus provide fiber, vitamins, minerals, and plant-based protein. Look for hummus without added oils.
- Cottage Cheese – High in casein protein, cottage cheese is filling and low in calories. Eat it on its own or topped with sliced tomatoes, onions, avocado, and fresh herbs.
- Roasted Chickpeas – Chickpeas are packed with plant-based protein and fiber. Roast them in the oven with a dash of olive oil, cumin, garlic, and sea salt for a crunchy treat.
- Popcorn – As long as you go for air-popped or stovetop popcorn made with healthy oils, popcorn is a whole grain snack with fiber. Sprinkle nutritional yeast on top for a cheesy flavor.
- Smoothie – Blend yogurt or milk with frozen fruit and greens for a nutrient-dense smoothie. Try adding protein powder, chia seeds, or nut butter for extra staying power.
- Veggie Chips – Swap greasy potato chips for crunchy kale, beet, or carrot chips. They have more nutrients and make for a lighter snack.
- Trail Mix – Make your own trail mix with nuts, seeds, dried fruit, and dark chocolate chunks. Portion into baggies so you don’t overeat.
FAQs About Healthy Late-Night Snacks
Why are late-night snacks important?
Eating a small, balanced snack before bed can help curb hunger, stabilize blood sugar levels overnight, and prevent overeating the next day.
What are good snacks for energy at night?
Look for snacks that provide protein and fiber for sustained energy, like Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, nuts, or apple with peanut butter.
What can I eat late night without gaining weight?
Some healthy options are air-popped popcorn, roasted chickpeas, veggies with hummus, avocado toast, and smoothies made with yogurt and fruit.
How do you stop late night cravings?
Making sure you eat enough protein and fiber throughout the day can help reduce late-night cravings. Drinking enough water, getting 7-9 hours of sleep, and managing stress are also helpful.
Is eating late at night really bad for you?
Eating large portions close to bedtime can lead to weight gain and poor sleep. But a small, balanced 200-300 calorie snack 1-2 hours before bed is fine for most people.
Should I eat fruit at night?
Fruit is generally great any time of day. Focus on lower sugar fruits at night, like berries, apples, grapefruit, or kiwi. Avoid fruit juices which lack fiber.
Can I eat eggs at night?
Yes, eggs are a good nighttime protein source. Have them boiled, poached, or as part of a veggie omelet. Avoid fried eggs cooked in butter or oil.
Is dark chocolate OK at night?
A small 1-2 ounce piece of dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa) can curb sweet cravings at night. But avoid overdoing it since chocolate still has calories.
Are nuts and nut butters good late night snacks?
Nuts and natural nut butters provide protein, fiber, and healthy fats. They can help control hunger before bed. Limit portions to 1 ounce of nuts or 2 tablespoons of nut butter.
What foods should I avoid eating late at night?
Try to avoid snacks that are high in sugar, like cookies, cakes, and candy, as well as greasy and fried foods like chips, french fries, and fast food. These can lead to weight gain.